Managing Successful Programmes (MSP®) – Practitioner (with exam)
What you will learn
This two-day course will provide you with a thorough understanding of the internationally recognised and best practice programme management methodology Managing Successful Programmes (MSP), providing the skills you need to confidently use MSP to manage programmes in line with strategic aims of a business and its day to day running.
By the end of this course, delegates will have the skills to be able to identify and document the vision of a programme, thus aligning it to the strategic aims of the business. Candidates will also be able to coordinate the projects of a programme to ensure the correct application of resources and risk, issue and change management. There will be confidence in interface with the day to day business to ensure the smooth transition of changes delivered by a programme into business as usual activity and ensure that the benefits that the programme is designed to deliver are achieved.
This level is also a prerequisite for programme management professionals progressing toward the advanced practitioner certification, and those aspiring to become programme management professionals in the future.
You should ideally have experience of managing or working in programmes prior to attending. Knowledge of the PRINCE2® 6th Edition® project management method is advantageous but by no means mandatory, but some exposure to a project management method will aid understanding of how the programme works with these projects.
Benefits to Delegates
By the end of this course, delegates will:
- Understand the facts, terms and concepts relating to each theme
- Understand how each governance theme relates to the principles
- Understand the approach to the treatment of each governance theme
- Appreciate how each governance theme is applied throughout the transformational flow
- Understand the responsibilities involved in each governance theme
- Apply and tailor the relevant aspects of each governance theme to a given scenario
- Identify, analyse and distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate application of each governance theme in a given scenario
- Application of MSP in an exam environment
MSP philosophy and structure
- What is a programme and how it differs to both business as usual and project work
- Relationship between the MSP principles, governance themes and the transformational flow.
The 7 MSP principles
- Remaining aligned with corporate strategy
- Leading change
- Envisioning and communicating a better future
- Focusing on benefits and threats to them
- Adding value
- Designing and delivering a coherent capability
- Learning from experience
The 9 MSP governance themes
- Leadership and stakeholder engagement
- Benefits management
- Blueprint design and delivery
- Planning and control
- Business case
- Risk and issue management
- Quality and assurance management
The 6 MSP® Transformational Flow Processes
- Identifying a programme
- Defining a programme
- Managing the tranche
- Delivering the capability
- Realizing the benefits
- Closing a programme
MSP Practitioner Examinations
A prerequisite for taking this examination is that the candidate has already passed the Foundation level. The MSP Practitioner examination takes place on the morning of the last day. The examination consists of:
- 8 questions, each worth 10 marks; total of 80 marks
- ‘Objective Test Examination’ format – a style of complex multiple-choice examination.
- 2½ hours’ duration
- Open book – Delegates may use their official MSP manual: ‘Managing Successful Programmes’ only
- Candidates require a minimum of 40 marks (50%) to pass
What is included
- Study guides including Video tutorials: Study as you prefer using PDF files, video tutorials, HTML format or podcasts.
- Podcasts: Download it and listen to it at your convenience.
- Interactive Case Study
- Glossary: A PDF glossary provided to help you revise quickly.
- Crossword: Test your knowledge and have some fun doing it.
- Phone App: Download a very effective phone app to study on your mobile.
- Chapter Tests and Evaluation Tests: These tests assess the delegate’s degree of understanding of the respective chapter content.
- Case Study: To help you prepare for the Practitioner course, we have also added an additional case study.
- Sample Papers
- Trainer Support: Email support by experienced accredited trainers during the duration of the course and post course.