Managing Successful Programmes (MSP®) – Foundation
The purpose of the foundation certification is to determine whether a candidate has sufficient knowledge and understanding of the MSP guidance to interact effectively with those involved in the management of a programme or act as an informed member of a programme office, business change team or project delivery team working within an environment supporting MSP.
The foundation certification is also a pre-requisite for the practitioner certification.
You should ideally have experience of managing or working in programmes prior to attending. Knowledge of the PRINCE2® 6th Edition® project management method is advantageous but by no means mandatory, but some exposure to a project management method will aid understanding of how the programme works with these projects.
- The success on the course will be enhanced by close attention to the pre-reading materials. It is recommended that candidates spend 1-3 hours on it.
- If you have not received your pre-reading material within one week of the start of your course, please contact our team.
- Additional work will be required in the evening during the course, consisting of consolidation reading, mock examination questions and exercises. This evening work is an integral part of the course and you should expect to spend about 2 hours each evening on these activities.
- You will be presented with the official MSP manual: ‘Managing Successful Programmes’ on the first day of your course.
Please note: You must bring a signed photo ID with you on any professional exam (passport, driving licence or student card) as you will be asked to produce it by the invigilator prior to the exam. Failure to produce this ID will result in their exam results being withheld until proof of ID is provided. Please note that if proof is not provided within 40 days, candidate’s exam results will be null and void and a re-sit would be required.
The exam provider allows additional time for candidates who have a disability or whose native language differs to that of the examination paper. Full details and how to apply can be sought from our team by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you believe you qualify for this, then please notify our team as early as possible (at least two weeks’ notice) to allow time for processing this request. Delegates failing to advise us and provide evidence when requested, may not be allowed the additional support offered.
Benefits to Delegates
By the end of this course, delegates will:
- Understand the facts, terms and concepts relating to each theme
- Understand how each governance theme relates to the principles
- Understand the approach to the treatment of each governance theme
- Appreciate how each governance theme is applied throughout the transformational flow
- Understand the responsibilities involved in each governance theme
- Apply and tailor the relevant aspects of each governance theme to a given scenario
- Identify, analyse and distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate application of each governance theme in a given scenario
- Application of MSP in an exam environment
MSP philosophy and structure
- What is a programme and how it differs to both business as usual and project work
- Relationship between the MSP principles, governance themes and the transformational flow.
The 7 MSP principles
- Remaining aligned with corporate strategy
- Leading change
- Envisioning and communicating a better future
- Focusing on benefits and threats to them
- Adding value
- Designing and delivering a coherent capability
- Learning from experience
The 9 MSP governance themes
- Leadership and stakeholder engagement
- Benefits management
- Blueprint design and delivery
- Planning and control
- Business case
- Risk and issue management
- Quality and assurance management
The 6 MSP® Transformational Flow Processes
- Identifying a programme
- Defining a programme
- Managing the tranche
- Delivering the capability
- Realizing the benefits
- Closing a programme
Members of a programme office, business change team members, project delivery team members, anyone who needs to understand the terminology and concepts underpinning MSP and those wishing to pursue higher level certifications (e.g. Programme Managers, Business Change Managers (BCMs) and Senior Responsible Owners (SROs).
- Multiple choice questions
- 75 questions per paper with one mark available per question
- Five questions to be trial and not counted in scores
- 35 marks required to pass (out of 70 marks available) – 50%
- 60 minutes’ duration
- Closed book