PRINCE2 – Foundation + Practitioner
This four-day PRINCE2 course provides delegates with a thorough understanding of the PRINCE2 project management methodology. During the course we introduce the roles, principles, themes and processes that enables PRINCE2 methodology to be applied to projects of varying sizes and contexts. We also explain the various PRINCE2 management products that will help delegates deliver projects in a coordinated, consistent and transparent manner.
The purpose of the Practitioner certification is to confirm whether you understand PRINCE2 well enough to be able to apply and tailor the methodology in a scenario situation. You should, with suitable direction, be able to start applying the method to a real project but may not be sufficiently skilled to do this appropriately for all situations. Individual project management expertise, complexity of the project and the support provided for the use of PRINCE2 in your work environment will all be factors that impact what you can achieve.
Throughout the course, our PRINCE2 experts help delegates understand the benefits of adopting the PRINCE2 methodology.All relevant course materials are provided, including the core textbook Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2. The course concludes with the PRINCE2 Foundation Examination.
No prerequisites are necessary for attendance, although delegates would benefit from some experience of working in projects prior to attending the PRINCE2 Foundation course.
However, to sit the PRINCE2 Practitioner examination you must have passed the Foundation examination, which is marked immediately afterwards or provide proof of having passed one of the following:
- Project Management Professional (PMP)*
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)*
- IPMA Level A® (Certified Projects Director)
- IPMA Level B® (Certified Senior Project Manager)
- IPMA Level C® (Certified Project Manager)
- IPMA Level D® (Certified Project Management Associate)
Some reading material will be sent to you after your booking. You should expect to spend as much as 4 hours on this.
Benefit to Delegates
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Define the characteristics and context of a project and the benefits of adopting PRINCE2
- Explain the terminology that is used within PRINCE2
- List the key roles and responsibilities that are involved in a PRINCE2 project
- Define the purpose of the seven principles that characterise a PRINCE2 project
- Understand the seven PRINCE2 themes that must be continually addressed
- Explain the purpose, objectives and context of the seven PRINCE2 processes that help structure the activities required to deliver the project successfully
- Define the purpose of a PRINCE2 management product and list its content
- Work more effectively within a PRINCE2 environment, either as a team member or in the management of the project
- Apply and tailor PRINCE2 in a scenario situation
- Apply the method to a real project
- Apply and understand how to tailor PRINCE2 effectively to a project within an organisational environment supporting PRINCE2
- Be able to create and assess management products (i.e. project records or documentation)
The PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner course is conducted in such manner as to ensure that theory is embedded and delegates feel confident in the practical application of PRINCE2. Additional evening work will be required in the form of consolidation reading and mock examination questions. The evening work is an integral part of the course and delegates should expect to spend approximately two hours on these activities. The course will cover the following syllabus areas:
Delegates are introduced to the world of projects and project management and to the overall structure of the PRINCE2 method. The benefits of adopting a formal project management method will also be outlined.
PRINCE2 operates with a universal set of principles that can be applied to every project. These seven principles provide the framework of good practice upon which PRINCE2 is based.
- Continued business justification
- Learn from experience
- Defined roles and responsibilities
- Manage by stages
- Manage by exception
- Focus on products
- Tailor to suit the project environment
The seven PRINCE2 themes are aspects of the project that must be continually addressed and linked together in order for the project to be delivered effectively.
- Business Case
The seven PRINCE2 processes define the activities that are required to direct, manage and deliver the project successfully. The following processes run from pre-project, through initiation and delivery, up to and including project closure.
- Starting up a Project
- Directing a Project
- Initiating a Project
- Controlling a Stage
- Managing Product Delivery
- Managing a Stage Boundary
- Closing a Project
PRINCE2 Foundation Examination
- 1 hour long
- Closed book
- 60 multiple-choice questions
- 55% pass mark (33/60)
PRINCE2 Practitioner Examination
- Two and a half hours long
- Open book
- 68 multiple-choice questions
- 55% pass mark (38/68)
Throughout the PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner course, delegates will be exposed to numerous examples of examination questions. We will go through some exercises as well as ‘question-and-answer’ sessions that will help to consolidate the learning, thereby ensuring that delegates are more than adequately prepared for the final examination.
*Peoplecert has requested that we ensure that every candidate who invests in training in AXELOS Global Best Practice has the opportunity to attain the corresponding certification; hence, your purchase of this course includes the corresponding examinations. The official certification validates the candidate’s learning, underpins his/her professional standing, and justifies his/her organisation’s investment in training. Certification is also an essential component in maintaining the quality associated with AXELOS’ products and the trust in AXELOS’ Global Best Practice that has been built over many years. Peoplecert believe that, by ensuring that training is always accompanied by an official examination, they can improve the value of the training for their customers and protect the integrity of their brands.